1. Jesus changed my life when He became absolutely clear to me by showing me how futile and lonely my life was. Since then I’ve been in the best life-long adventure! I live to bring Him glory and honor.
2. That happened when I was working at my dad’s coal mine. I was thigh-high in coal with all the garb on and completely black from head-to-toe.
3. That was my favorite job because I was able to get dirty and wash it off and my team was a bunch of characters.
4. Or, it was my favorite until I started Ropes Coursing and teaching Wilderness Survival.
5. I was in the Miss Teen of Wyoming Pageant and was labeled “rebellious” when I refused to have a smile plastered on my face for the entire 3 days. Hey – I like to be genuine and if I don’t feel like smiling, I won’t.
6. Right before I left for that event, my sister gave me fat lip when we got in a fight. (Possibly another reason I didn’t want to smile).
7. “World Peace” was never an answer of mine. I know that won’t happen until Jesus’ return.
8. I went to Disneyland when I was 13 or so. A family from England joined us – it was not a good trip because we didn’t get along with the other family’s kids well.
9. One of my favorite books is “The Brothers Karamazov” by Fyodor Dostoevsky, even though he’s an existentialist.
10. My motto is “Do something you’ve ever done at least once a month”. It keeps life interesting and fun.
11. Because of my motto, I’ve taken private pilot lessons in a small Cessna, bungee jumped, toured a morgue, went ocean kayaking, got published in the local paper, and lots of other things I’d never done before just so I could say that I did it.
12. I received an offer to intern at NASA when I was in college.
13. I declined the offer in order to go to Bosnia on my first mission trip. God used that trip to change my entire perspective and career goal.
14. I am a black belt in 3 martial arts styles but haven’t competed since 2000.
15. When I was little I dreamed of being a teacher, a cop, a CIA operative, a mommy, a zookeeper, and an astronaut.
16. I have been to 30 countries on 5 continents.
17. I have been to 40 states.
18. I stood up on a wake board the very first time I tried. My sister was so mad at me because it was her 5th or 6th time and she just started being able to do it.
19. I have eaten dog (golden retriever), elk, moose, deer, antelope, rabbit, wild boar, bats, scorpions, frogs, guinea pig, buffalo and Rocky Mountain Oysters. And that’s just the meat category!
20. I have also eaten Century Eggs and was the only girl on my team who could do it without actually yerking. So every time our team had to eat that stuff, Big Tim and I got stuck with the eggs while everyone else got to eat sweet and sour chicken and stuff. Now, that’s a team!
21. I actually think I’ve eaten most of the stuff they serve as challenges on Fear Factor.
22. I have walked on the Great Wall of China; the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square; Machu Pichu; Victoria Falls (that was my first bungee jump – longest in the world!); the Olympic Center in Seoul, Korea; the Colosseum and Ancient Rome; the Temple Mount and Dome of the Rock; around the Sea of Galilee.
23. I have climbed 17 “14ers” (mountain peaks over 14,000 ft.) around the country.
24. My last mountain climbing endeavor was Mount Rainier in Washington 2 years ago.
25. We had to turn around 600 yards from the summit because of a sudden storm.
26. On the way back down the mountain, some of our party fell through a giant crevasse (no one was injured) but it was the most exhilarating moment!
27. I love to go spelunking because it’s an excuse to use ropes underground and I get to get really dirty.
28. I have been to the Bighorns; the Grand Tetons; Mount Rushmore; Devil’s Tower; Moab; Lake Powell; the Grand Canyon; Joshua Tree; the Redwood Forest; Yosemite; Tahquamenon Falls; the Empire State Building; Times Square; and all the sites in Washington, D.C.
29. It was at Tahquamenon Falls that I was climbing a tree and my shoe fell in the water above the falls, so my friend ran down the trail trying to get my shoe back and I ran through the forest after him jumping over logs and stuff (I felt totally like “Last of the Mohicans”). We had just about given up at the very bottom of the falls when I looked down just off shore and saw it stuck in a log. He had to swim out there and get it for me.
30. Living with Luis & Nora was the longest place I’d ever lived anywhere – 4 years in one spot – until I got married.
31. I am deathly afraid of spiders – and I’m not kidding!
32. I even gave myself an asthma attack so bad by hyperventilating after seeing a black widow at church that they had to call an ambulance and I was on oxygen for an hour. I have MANY other stories…
33. I don’t really like sweets but now if I eat chocolate, I only like dark chocolate.
34. I would much rather have some nachos than a candy bar.
35. I really enjoy smoothies!
36. I’m a risk-taker most of the time.
37. I absolutely love storms and natural disasters. My friend Matthew and I drove for 9 hours chasing tornados once.
38. I have experienced tornados, a flash flood, a blizzard, earthquakes, and have seen plumes of ash from an erupted volcano but didn’t actually see the volcano.
39. In one flood, the water so high that my sister and I went swimming in the streets with the neighbor kids – we got in so much trouble and caught really bad colds.
40. I volunteer with a Mountain Search and Rescue team and sometimes get called out at 3am to go search for lost snowboarders or whatever. I keep my “turn-out” bag by my bed.
41. When I was 2 years old, a piece of wood went though my chin and into my mouth cavity… you could see the roof of my mouth through the hole in my chin but I wasn’t crying (or so my mom said). A millimeter to either side and I would’ve died. Now I have a cool scar.
42. My most memorable birthday was when I was at work one year and some rock climbers came in at about 10pm on their way home (about 200 miles away). After talking for a bit, they found out it was my birthday… right before I closed shop at midnight they came back in with a candle on top of a “Clif Bar” and sang Happy Birthday to me. They could’ve been almost home by that time!
43. One time my sister and I were at Preston Smith’s house when we were in 6th grade. We were playing hide-and-seek and Katie and I thought we’d be smart and hide on top of the roof. Nobody found us but they soon knew where we were when Preston’s mom drove in the driveway and we couldn’t get down. Ryan and Preston had to come help us but she never found out we were up there.
44. I chipped my front bottom tooth by jumping off of Jason’s roof onto his trampoline and my knee hit my mouth so hard that I was bleeding for hours. It’s still chipped because I never got it fixed.
45. The first time I was stung by a bee was when I was 6 and riding my bike down the road and it flew into my shirt.
46. It stung me right in the middle of the chest and I was so startled that I hit a parked car.
47. I used to play with G.I. Joes with Richard from a few doors down. We had “wars” in the field behind our house.
48. My favorite childhood hero was Shera, but I really liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too.
49. I can still sing the theme song to Care Bears and Fraggle Rock.
50. I played the flute in school but quit half through the year because it was too “girly”.
51. I then took up Baseball.
52. I broke my nose in baseball and it was so bad that I had to have sinus surgery. The surgery was fine and didn’t hurt but when they had to take the compacted gauze out from my sinus cavities, it felt (and looked) like they were pulling my brains out my nose. 4 people had to hold me down. It was the most excruciating pain I’ve ever been in.
53. I broke my sister’s nose 3 times (twice in baseball and once with a flashlight) but none of them were my fault – well, one is debatable.
54. I grew up in choir, doing musicals and stuff. I was on the Worship Team for Campus Ventures, BSU and the Gathering for a time.
55. I’ve also been in a gospel choir and a jazz choir in college. And have done the National Anthem for the University of Wyoming Cowboys.
56. I’ve been able to share my faith over the radio on a secular station in Sacramento.
57. I’ve had 2 cars blow up on me. One I got from a former roommate and the other from a missionary. Both blew up as I was driving on the highway.
58. The worst one was a blown rod when I was just coming down the mountain toward Salt Lake City and my sister had to drive all the way out there (10+ hours) to come get me.
59. I then took a Greyhound back to Wyoming and was stuck next to this really weird guy that gave me the creeps. I’ll never ride Greyhound again.
60. I’ve never been in a car accident (that I was driving) and I’ve never been pulled over.
61. I used to have a crush on my math teacher.
62. I was a Girl Scout for about 1 year because I thought I would be learning how to start fires and stuff, instead we sold cookies and learned how to sew. I quit and joined Campfire Girls!!!
63. I was born in Japan so I’ve been traveling since before I was born. And my dad’s from Scotland – he has a really cool accent that everyone adores, but I’m so used to it that I can’t hear it as prevalent as they can.
64. I absolutely abhor shopping. It takes me 20 minutes to get to the store and get home.
65. On the playground once, this little boy lied and told his brother I hit him. So, his brother comes up to me and beats me down and just keeps kicking me. Funny thing was that I wasn’t the one crying – my twin sister was crying and she was safe on the sidelines (didn’t even try to help me I might add – hahaha!!)
66. I hate clutter, especially on my desk or in the kitchen.
67. I wouldn’t say I like to clean, but I like having a clean house. My favorite household chore is cleaning the dishes. My least favorite is doing laundry.
68. I listen to every style of music, depending on my mood.
69. All of my rock and ice climbing equipment got stolen out of my truck once expect for my harness which was in plain site for everyone to see.
70. I like to study philosophy and theology and have a large library of such books…I’m a total nerd!
71. I have learned (or are learning) 7 languages, but can get around by myself in about 4 or 5. Favorite language = Bosnian (Serbo-Croatian). Least favorite = Hebrew (it’s SO hard!)
72. I can cook but I’m still learning to do a variety of things.
73. My friends think I could compete and win Survivor, Fear Factor and the late Eco-Challenge. I think it would be fun to do but it would never happen.
74. For some reason, I find myself “counseling” people a lot. I think it’s because I like to listen.
75. When I was 10 or so, I wrote this poem called “The Devil’s Mask” and won every contest it was in.
76. It’s the only poem I ever wrote that I still think about at times because it shows how much I understand the difference of good and evil and the battle between at such a young age.
77. I have taken various art and pottery classes. I love to draw and paint when I can. My specialty is landscape themes
78. I have broken a lot of bones in my body, including my arm, my nose, a couple ribs, and my ankle/foot.
79. I stay calm in the height of emergencies and am clear-headed when approaching what to do in them.
80. I’m usually in the “leadership” role but I can be a follower too.
81. I am a decisive person. So if I’m in a group that can’t make up their minds, I’ll just choose one and go ahead and start doing it.
82. My all time biggest hero (besides Jesus!) is my sister, Katie.
83. Even though I say I’m not prejudiced, I am prejudiced against prejudiced people.
84. I changed my major in college 3 times (Zoology – Astrophysics – Forestry and Wildlife Management)
85. I once thought of applying for the Julliard School of Music for vocal performance.
86. I am an open book and will answer any question given to me (about me).
87. I hate gossip, that’s one of the biggest things that will destroy a friendship.
88. I have participated in exotic tribal activities while I was in Africa – it was really fun.
89. Masasa was my favorite place because we danced ALL the time and sang praise songs to Jesus “African style”!
90. If I wasn’t where I am, I’d want to be serving God in missions someplace where I can get chased by men with guns and if captured, tortured for my faith… seriously.
91. My biggest pet-peeve is when people use all the toilet paper and don’t replace the roll – because then I have to sit there and drip-dry…I hate that!
92. I am pretty comfortable talking about stuff, and don’t mind saying words like “fart”, “pee”, “belch”, etc – – unless I know that it bothers people (then I’ll refrain from being so candid).
93. I’m not a great swimmer, I CAN swim but not very well.
94. My first time skiing was when I was 12 and it was horrible! I ran into a tree, I fell off the chairlift twice and I lost one ski. I vowed never to go again!
95. My second time skiing was awesome – I never fell down and even got up to a Blue Square or Green Triangle or whatever. I liked it after that.
96. I haven’t been skiing since.
97. On the first snow of every year, my roommates and I used to watch “While You Were Sleeping” or another snowy kind of movie. I’ve carried on that tradition even without them (Lots of love to April and Solveig!!)
98. I’m scared of disappointing people or not meeting their expectations – this drives me to pursue things with all I’ve got.
99. However, with that weakness comes the realization that I can’t NOT disappoint people so I’m getting better at saying “No” to things.
100. When I die, I want to be remembered for 1. a person that pursued and followed Christ and 2. a person that loved others and encouraged them to do the same.