I always lose this recipe and then I panic because it’s one of our very favorites so if I do lose it, then I won’t be able to make it anymore. I finally kept it out to remind me to put it on my blog so I’ll always know where to find it! This is an easy, go-to recipe for dessert and since we don’t eat desserts very often, I almost always just make this!
5 c. sliced fruit (any kind of fruit, see below for fruit options)
2-4 tbsp sugar (depending on tartness of fruit)
1/2 c. regular rolled oats (I just use quick oats since that’s what we have)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon
1/4 c. margarine or butter
1/4 c. chopped nuts or coconut
Vanilla ice cream or light cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place fruit in an 8×1.5-in round baking dish and stir in sugar.
- For topping, in a mixing bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg, ginger, or cinnamon. Cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts or coconut. Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 mins (40 mins for thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender and topping is golden. Serve warm with ice cream or light cream if desired. Serves 6.
- FRUIT OPTIONS: (**NOTE: if fruit is frozen, thaw but do not drain)
- Sliced & peeled apples, pears, peaches or apricots; or frozen unsweetened peach slices – prepare as above.
- Blueberries – prepare as above, except for filling, combine 4 tbsp sugar & 3 tbsp all-purpose flour. Toss with 5 cups fresh or frozen berries.
- Cherry – prepare as above, except for filling, combine 1/2 c. sugar & 3 tbsp all-purpose flour. Toss with 5 c. fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries.
- Rhubarb – prepare as above, except for filling, combine 1 c. sugar & 3 tbsp all-purpose flour. Toss with 5 c. fresh or frozen sliced rhubarb.