Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
4 c. whole milk
1 c. sour cream
Kosher salt & black pepper
12 oz egg noodles
4 slices sandwich bread
2 c. shredded cooked chicken
5 oz baby spinach
2 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400. Melt 4 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, until foamy, 1-2 mins (do not let mixture darken).
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking often, until thickened, 3-5 mins. Remove from heat & whisk in sour cream, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package instructions; drain & return them to the pot. Pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the milk mixture, chicken, spinach & thyme to the noodles and toss to combine. Transfer to a 9×13-in dish or some other 3-qt baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake until the bread crumbs are golden and filling is bubbly, 8-10 mins. Let cool for 5 mins before serving.