This recipe is so very good!! You can use turkey or chicken, and it goes by much faster if you’ve already got cooked, cut-up meat.
1 1/2 c. frozen peas and carrots, thawed under cold water
5 tbsp butter
5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 c. turkey or chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2 1/2 to 3 c. diced cooked turkey or chicken
Pastry for 9-inch two crust pie (prepared or purchased)
- Drain peas and carrots; set aside.
- Heat butter in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
- Stir in broth and milk; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in turkey and vegetables.
- Prepare pastry. (These were the original instructions for preparations, which I did not use: Roll 2/3 of the pastry into a 13-inch square; ease into ungreased 9-inch square pan. Pour turkey mixture into the pastry-lined pan. Roll remaining pastry into 11-inch square; cut out designs with small cookie cutter. Place square over filling; turn edges under and crimp.) What I did was simply line one pastry in a round, deep pie pan and cover the top with the other pie crust. I then cut out small slots on the top to allow steam to escape while cooking.
- Bake in 425° oven until golden brown, about 35 min.
NOTE: Due to dripping, you will probably want to place a baking sheet underneath the pan. Serves 6. (From southernfood.about.com)