Another scrumptious recipe to share!! I made this last night, and had leftovers for lunch today and it was still delicious; the basil gives it the most yummy smell when done. It’s low fat, whole grain and is considered vegetarian as well (though I rarely go a meal without some kind of meat!) Enjoy!
1-3/4 c. multigrain or whole wheat penne pasta (8 oz)
8 oz packaged peeled baby carrots, halved lengthwise
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 c. sliced green onion, or chopped white onion
3/4 c. chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp snipped fresh basil, or 1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted
grated or finely shredded Parmesan cheese
cracked black pepper to taste
- To toast almond, form even layer on baking sheet. Bake on 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. But be careful, mine toasted in 3.5 minutes and when they start to toast, they will quickly burn if you’re not watching them.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain. Return penne to hot saucepan; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir carrots in hot olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add green beans, onion, broth and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in squash. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Toss vegetable mixture, basil, and salt with pasta.
- Sprinkle with almonds, cheese and pepper.
Total calories = 284. Great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron. It really is delicious, and you could always serve with grilled chicken, a small green salad and Italian bread. YUMMY!!!