2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. granulated sugar
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 egg (plus a little to brush tops)
1/2 c. cranberries
powdered sugar (to sprinkle, optional)
- In food processor (or large bowl with mixer), combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Blend well.
- Add butter, cut into 8 pieces, until mixture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk and egg, mix until dough holds together and forms a mass.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and pat into a 3/4 to 1-inch thick rectangle.
- Cut dough into 8-10 squares or rectangles. Shape each piece into a triangle or diamond shape if desired.
- Brush with a little cream or beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven, 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar when done.
Makes 8-10 scones.
NOTE: Can substitute cranberries for other, similar fruit. Original recipe calls for currants.